Sunday, September 6, 2009

Here Is My Link

Dear Guru SEO Affiliate Marketing Expert Designer Person,


You sent me a link so I thought it would be rude of me to not send my own. I'm fully aware you won't read this because you don't have any more time to read unsolicited material from a stranger than I do. Still, my Mama raised me to be polite so I'm taking time from my busy day to write this to you.


I would hate for you to think sending out that link was a waste of time for the computer program you used to generate it so I want to reassure you; I know exactly what your link says. It tells me how wonderful you are and details the myriad accomplishments you have achieved to make you the best there is at what you do. If I stick with you, I am certainly going to achieve unimaginable heights. All I have to do is purchase and read your e-book, listen to your recording, attend your workshop, hire your company and follow all your instructions implicitly. This is the opportunity of a lifetime. I am sure to succeed and if by chance I don’t, it is because I don’t know how to follow directions. It has nothing to do with you since your plan is fool proof and is the reason you are so wildly accomplished.


You can’t imagine how pleased I am that YOU, out of the kindness of your heart, have chosen ME to share your success with. I don't know what it is that made you single me out but I am grateful beyond my ability to express it. I am also humbled because unlike you, I have nothing to sell. Sure, I have causes I champion and sometimes I ask for donations or support for those causes but you can feel free to disregard any of those causes you don't personally feel passion for. I certainly will never direct message you with anything like that because I know you are a busy, busy person and frankly, those messages can be intrusive.


I hope, in return for your largesse, you allow me to be of any assistance I can to you. I know it is unlikely I have anything you could possibly need but I just wanted to put the offer out there. I've been doing a great deal of listening and learning about this new media thing and I am happy to help anyone who asks. I don't have an e-book or product like that because I like to keep things on a more personal, one-on-one basis. I also don't have any mechanism to charge you for my assistance but that hasn't been a problem in the past. Heck, it works out better for you that way because whatever I give for free is valueless and you don't have to feel any obligation toward me.


Thank you for reaching out to me and sharing your specialness. I look forward to our long and fruitful relationship.


Sincerely,

Little Ole Me

(Graphic courtesy of Rhonda Hitchcock)


17 comments:

  1. Very well done. For those of us that are here to interact it sums it up quite nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nail On The Head!!

    Are you still following these oh-so-special people? I'll usually let one DM like that slide, but any more than that and they're just not special enough to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments Don & Jamie! I've met many competent, intelligent and personable people in social media who also happen to be in marketing, PR and related fields. I hope everyone is aware these are NOT the people I am addressing in this post.
    I used to quickly unfollow those special people, PaintDog, but now I message them back to let them know they are not communicating effectively. In the off chance they are not aware people would rather not be beaten over the head with their message before they've even formed a relationship, I offer to help them. As you would expect, no one has taken me up on this offer to date. I give them a chance to message me back in case they would like help. If they don't, I unfollow. I'm subjected to enough advertisements in my real life and don't need that sort in my virtual one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well said, if I do say so myself. This is the former @crumcake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see my favorite net-cavie blogging away about the poisons of constant advertising via twitter. As if pop-ups and intrusive flash ads on websites aren't enough for us to contend with on an errant click, we now have to deal with hitting the wrong thing through TweetDeck too.

    @chris_larson

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is wonderful! May I auto-DM all my spammer--er, helpful, wonderful, special guru people--with your link? After all, no sense reinventing the wheel, and you said it so much better than I would have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What's ironic is that if they were so good at SEO, we would find them by searching 'great SEO,' not by their broadcasting...the first thing is to practice what you preach...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Shades of E.B. White and the letter he once sarcastically penned about his overdue real estate taxes for a vacation home and the county's overly aggressive collection methods. You go, Li'l Pecan. Well put. Especially for a, well... uh, a cavy. ;-)

    Mike & Kali
    @DreamWorthy
    http://www.DreamWorthyGifts.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL too bad they will never read it. One day the term SEO showed up on the web and from there we've been spammed continuously. Some days Twitter is just a sea of SEOs

    ReplyDelete
  10. For too many of these people I suspect the acronym stands for "Search Engine Orifice."

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is HILARIOUS! I used to send a message too but the flood of cheese balls just got too big. I do love going on a clean sweep using TweetDeck to block and report as spam! This is so clever and the graphics are FAB!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to follow you because 1) you have a guinea pig 2) you sound like a reporter 3) you live in Boston-ish. 4) you attended e-pharma. Are you sure you are not me?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the post. Glad you never sent it to me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, I'd never use you Miriam, but I know what you mean.

    Christopher, I gave up on sending these people return DMs. They don't read mine anymore than I read theirs.

    Thanks for reading Rollie!

    I have a feeling it will only get worse, Chris. Nearly everything I read these days about Twitter is how to leverage it for marketing and sales. It is getting to the point where they should toss the name social media in favour of promotional media.

    Holly, I wrote this for just that purpose. Thank you for the compliment!

    I could not agree with you more, Mary. Those who can, do. Those who can't broadcast & fake it.

    Thanks Mike! I get on a roll sometimes and can't stop myself. I don't like being sarcastic but these people bring out the worst in me.

    That is what you'd think from there behavior, Marc. I doubt many of them really KNOW how to perform effective SEO.

    Thanks Gina! I'm glad I could make you laugh.
    I seem to have lost track of a few of my personalities so I very well could be you, Robin. Say hello on Twitter so I know who you are.

    Barbara, I would not in a million years send this to my second follower. You urged me to stick with this new media thing. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG That was THE best post ever.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow!!! I really enjoyed that. It should be required reading before one is allowed into the Twitterverse!

    ReplyDelete