Thursday, May 20, 2010

How To NOT Retain A Loyal Customer

I've put off writing this post for weeks because it makes me look stupid. I can be and will readily admit it but don't like to advertise the point. One thing I have noticed in new media is, admitting a
failure seldom encourages commiseration but often invites people to throw rocks. So be it. I'll take the rocks because I am certain I am not alone in how I have been treated by AT&T.

AT&T inherited me from Cingular. Combined, they have had my business for a decade. I've driven distances to go to company stores because their franchises are poorly managed. A drawback in dealing with company stores is, there must be something disparaging in early records because I have had employees laugh at me after reading my account data. Not sure what it could be since I pay my bills and have stayed with them even when I was out of contract. I'm good with the snark myself and can appreciate an inside joke but I'd never betray that to a customer. I guess self control is not part of their training.

I purchased a smart phone and unlimited text and internet access from AT&T nearly two years ago. About a month later I went on a three day business trip to do insurance audits and was thrilled to discover, after the first day, I did not need to bring my laptop with me because my phone had enough computing power to replicate the laptop.

A few months later the big iPhone release happened, suddenly the network is overtaxed, service is slow, calls drop & text messages might arrive when you send them or a day later. I have email pushed to my phone. Service interruptions are not only unhelpful but can be and have been a disaster.

Still, I stayed with AT&T and a year ago added my fiance as another line. I have ads galore that tell me I can get a new phone for free or another phone at great discount by adding another line. We shopped around for suitable phones but were not happy with the options. Both our phones were still working so we put off buying another phone for later. We were told we were entitled to a new free phone or upgrade at any time and this would be noted to my account. This was a lie.

A month ago I started shopping for a new phone because my smartphone now barely functions. I was told again and again I could only get the discounted price on a new phone by signing a new contract. Finally I went back to the retail store where I signed my last contract and one patient sales associate explained to me there was no impetus to give me discount without the contract. When I explained to him what I was told earlier he explained my contract was almost up and they wanted assurance I would be locked into a new contract. Earlier promises were not valid. In fact, the promise that I could get a new phone or upgrade is ALWAYS in effect with the caveat that I sign a new contract. I said to him, “So, I should have bought a phone the last time I signed a contract and put it in a cabinet for later. It never carries over like they said?” He winced and gave me an affirmative nod. In the interim, other sales people were laughing at his patience with me, including the sales associate who sold me my last several hundred dollar smartphone. A call to AT&T customer service confirmed everything he said.

What have I learned? AT&T does not value long term customers. AT&T must allow their customer service representatives to insert biased, personal comments into customer accounts so that their bad day becomes our bad customer experience on and on, until we leave AT&T. AT&T will promise anything to get you to sign a contract even if they have to resort to dishonesty. The laughter I heard is from trained company representatives knowing I am stupid enough to keep my business with their company despite bad telephone service, bad customer service and misleading business practices. I deserve that laughter.

My contract is not the be-all-end-all for AT&T but my monthly bill for a personal account is over $125 per month, which is higher than most mobile customers I know. Meanwhile, I know there is little I can do about their crummy service but seek service elsewhere. When I worked at the Better Business Bureau one of our highest categories of complaint were for the mobile telecommunications industry. What I don't understand is why people put up with it.

Their search engine optimization is great. It took me until page 15 of a Google search for “AT&T” to hear what people are saying about them. (A later search for "AT&T Wireless" showed results on page three.) Too bad they can't control Twitter. If you really want to know what people are saying about AT&T go to http://search.twitter.com/ and enter AT&T into the search query.

I found a few choice articles that demonstrate I am not alone in my dissatisfaction. Read what the websites Digital Daily, Newser and FierceWireless have to say about AT&T.

What should I do? For one, I am shopping for alternatives to AT&T since my contract is about to expire. I am also going to file complaints with the FCC and the BBB. If all dissatisfied customers filed complaints, AT&T will not be able to continue denying they have service and customer service issues. Do you have other ideas? I welcome them.

2 comments:

  1. I, too, became an AT&T customer after they acquired Cingular Wireless. I decided to not renew and go elsewhere shortly thereafter.

    Unfortunately I think most cellular companies are the same after you peel away all of the pretty deals they are currently offering. Everyone wants a 2 year contract. Did you know that by supplying your own cell phone and paying an additional $75 to whatever price XYC company has as their introductory / 2-year rate, you only need to sign on for 1 year? I found that out when I went to T-Mobile (with my AT&T phone). I'd rather pay more money upfront for my phone and not be tied-down for another year. When you add up a year's worth of cell bills vs providing your own phone...much cheaper, IMO. You can buy phones anywhere these days.

    Pete & I did a T-Mobile vs Verizon Wireless "test" while traveling through some remote areas in New England last month. Overall, Verizon won. Not only did I still have voice service, I was still able to access my data/3G while often times he had "no service" or simply voice. Of course Verizon costs more. Depends on what you're looking for in a cellular provider and how much do you access the web. I'm a heavy data user and Verizon is simply faster and has better coverage. No, that is not an endorsement. Coverage-wise I prefer Verizon. I only wish they were cheaper like T-Mobile. Have you decided where you might go after your contract is up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Rhonda, what a great detailed response! Thank you!

    I have paid for a shorter contract before. Unfortunately, AT&T did away with that - probably because too many people were cancelling after the year. I'm thankful for the reminder, though. I'll have to see who else offers that option.

    I haven't decided who to go with yet. If, I had, I would have cancelled my contract by now. I know, at least with AT&T, the cancellation fees are prorated so the closer to the end of contract one is, the cheaper it is to cancel. Since I am nearly there, it would cost me peanuts to get out and it would be worth it to me.

    Popular Mechanics recently had a short article on prepaid phones. They say Boost Mobile, Cricket Wireless & MetroPCS all offer unlimited voice/text/data plans for about $50/month. The only catch is, they don't offer 3G coverage and have a limited selection of phones. I may check out on of these services. If I don't like them, at least I am not trapped in a contract.

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete