Friday, July 25, 2008

Twitter Hat Mania



It all started innocently enough. @pprlisa (Lisa Dilg) of Twitter placed a red beret on her avatar and started the “Anti-Pl*rk Revolución.” Plurk is a website similar to Twitter in that it is a social journal to “Share your life with friends, family and fans.” Some of @pprlisa’s followers also donned red berets and posted messages on Twitter denigrating the Plurk website. Of course this was all in jest but some “plurkers” did not take it this way. See the following amusing Plurk conversation.


It has now become custom, among a certain group of Twitter users, to don the red beret specifically at five P.M. on Fridays, though the berets occasionally pop up at other times. The circle of Twitter people (or Tweeple) who do this are the same circle I met eight days prior to this post at the Waltham, Massachusetts Tweetup hosted by @justTamar (Tamar Wallace). It is hard for me to explain what it is to witness this phenomenon for the first time. One night earlier this week I was tweeting with my new friends when I noticed that one by one, all their avatars were suddenly wearing red berets. That is when I was first told the back story to the “Anti-Pl*rk Revolución.” I donned my own beret and joined the Revolución.


This morning, coincidently a Friday, @prp2 (aka Pete) changed his avatar to show himself in a jaunty summery straw hat. I liked it, so I swiped it and stuck it on my avatar. As the day wore on, more and more of the people I follow appeared wearing the same straw hat. As I write this, @JuliaGoolia is still making hats for people. They are everywhere. The result is what you see here. What a community!

5 comments:

  1. Finally, an explanation! I didn't understand the hat thing. I'd join y'all but I'm terrible with Photoshop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm horrible at photoshop too. Thats why @juliagoolia makes mine or @lizwebpage! Love the story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's pretty awesome! I've even seen more hats being busted out this weekend, too. @JuliaGoolia told me I should make my uber-tropical pic my avatar, and once I did it was only a matter of time before people snagged my hat. Kick ass. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea this Hat Revolucion! would be such a big hit. Did you, Emma? And I am *still* making hats for my fellow Twitterers. I believe I have made somewhere around 40-ish of these jaunty summer hats. Now, I am expanding to sports head ware and all-around funked up hats for ze noggin. I was referred to the other day by @mikedoe as the "Crazy Hat Lady" or something like that.

    Wigs are becoming a hot new fashion of late thanks to you! Yours is by far the cutest and most adorable avatar around. If you can't have fun with your avatar, then that's too bad. Personally, I tire of looking at the same avatar day in and day out. The Beret and Hat Revolucion! has added a little funky fun to our little universe called Twitter.

    I must give thanks to @prp2 (Pete) for being such a good sport about this and for letting me borrow his hat. Without him, there would be no jaunty summer Hat Revolucion!

    It's a pleasure to follow such a smart and adorable guinea pig (who really looks like a hamster and/or gerbil) and I look forward to many more @'s, DM's, and tweets from you, my dear little guinea pig.

    I heart you. That is all.

    -JuliaGoolia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want more topics darn it!

    Chuck ;)

    ReplyDelete