Friday, May 8, 2009

How I Came By My Conservative Political Beliefs

I have been mulling this post over for weeks. I know I am making myself a target by even writing it but as I concluded back when I started to encourage the bullies to beat me up instead of the younger kids, “As long as they are beating me up, they aren’t beating someone else up.”


I know my life philosophy is different than many, even other Republicans but it is borne from my life experiences. You may want to keep this is mind if you are reading this. I represent only myself and my opinions are not necessarily representative of those of the party to which I belong.


Both my parents were members of the Democratic Party. I am a very younger sibling to their first four so I remember being at various Democratic campaign offices as a child because there was no one to sit for me. My Father was retired military, a veteran of two wars and my Mother the first generation of immigrant citizens. They were also very young children during The Great Depression. My Father, a self employed carpenter, died when I was thirteen. My Mother, a Mental Health Worker for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, died when I was twenty two. Both died of cancer before they could retire. I only say all this to give you an idea of the values and lessons they likely passed on to me. It would take a book to elaborate on what these are.


If you have read my earlier posts you know I was homeless after my mother died. I was young, just starting out, and had spent all my savings while on a leave of absence from work, to care for my dying mother. I was very thankful and lucky that my employer let me come back after my mother’s death. My manager knew I had no place to live but withheld judgment since I always showed up to work on time, clean, appropriately dressed and ready to fulfill my responsibilities. It wasn’t an easy time in my life. I looked around to see if there were any programs to help me get back on my feet. All I wanted was a loan for three months rent (first month, last month and a month security deposit). I was gainfully employed, ready and able to pay back a loan. There were not any programs set up for this. I could get a handout but only if I were: battered; a woman with dependent children; physically handicapped; mentally ill and/or a substance abuser or homeless AND unemployed. Just to make sure I understood I asked, “If I quit my job, I’d be eligible for assistance?” This was answered affirmatively.


Whoa. The idea of giving up my employment, the one thing keeping me going, in order to receive a hand out is and was anathema to me. It didn't make sense to me then and doesn't now. I couldn't even get into a shelter because they locked them down before I could get there from work. I welcome someone who can explain to me how it is beneficial to encourage people to drop out of productive society in order to get back on their feet.


For over ten years I juggled trying to keep a roof over my head, some times narrowly succeeding and sometimes failing - never getting far enough ahead to feel stable, settled. Even now, I know how quickly it can all be gone. Through mistreatment by employers and crimes committed on me because I had no "status" and therefore no defense, I've survived. In retrospect, I’m grateful I had that opportunity to grow and learn.
I’ve also spent years in the non-profit sector – consumer advocacy, credit counseling, arbitrating and pro bono legal work. It feels good to help others. If you’ve never tried it, you should. Unfortunately this also taught me a more than I wanted to know about human nature and politics. There is a sizable portion of the human population who think they should be able to get things for free and as a result, be better off than those people giving them free services. What is wrong with that picture? When I was a consumer advocate I met many people who lost tens of thousands of dollars on get rich quick schemes where the secret to getting rich was preying on others. Is it any wonder they were prey? I am not talking subtle con games where it is hard to tell where the money is going to come from but schemes where it is obvious they are going to find “chumps” to earn money from. If that is not an insight into human nature, I’m not sure what is.


As a credit counselor right after the last recession, I was responsible for analyzing people’s debt, income and life situations to formulate a plan to help cash strapped people get back on their feet, financially. This position was also an eye opener. I found the largest reason otherwise responsible and hard working people incurred debt is due to unexpected health emergencies. It is easy to sympathize with that plight but the other primary reason for people getting in over their head was living beyond their means. It is the second sort who were most likely to complain they still had to pay back some of the debt they incurred. My usual way of dealing with their complaints was to ask them what they bought on unsecured credit and the answers were stereo equipment, large screen televisions, dinners out, etc. – to my ears, unnecessary garbage. To those who balked that I could only control their interest and fees but not alter their principal I clucked sympathetically and asked if they were willing to return their goods, minus depreciation of course, to the bank. That shut them up every time.


I later sought a career that suited my skill set, was resilient in a bad economy and would not leave me living hand to mouth. I found it in insurance and law. Let me say straight off I dislike insurance companies and some lawyers for the same reasons many other people do but seeing it from the inside is fascinating. I loved being able to help someone who was seriously injured get back on their feet and back into life. I hated when I had to make people jump through hoops to get what they rightly deserved but I learned it was other people who made the system that way – not insurance companies. I’ve seen people who sprained an ankle, at work or in an auto accident, take two years to heal. This is not an exaggeration – I’ve seen the x-rays, MRIs, EMGs and there may be swelling and bruising, but it subsides. Still, if one keeps saying they are in pain and a doctor is still willing to treat them, it can go on and on and on. Beats working, right?


I could go on but you are already wondering, “What’s your point?” Through all this I learned modern humans like being taken care of and there is a segment of the population who likes taking care of them. A portion of the species are happiest when they can get the most amount of gain from the least amount of expended energy. Just look at the number of “get rich quick working at home” schemes on Twitter. To make matters worse there is a segment of the population encouraging this behavior. People are trying to be kind and sometimes they are but other times they are enabling a weaker segment of our race. I’m all for a hand up but not so much a hand out. I’m all for giving people the tools to make themselves better rather than the tools to make up more excuses why they can’t be.


I don’t have much use for government and the government of BOTH major parties has shown it does not have much use for me. But Republicans encourage my industry and don’t lie to me by making empty promises that they will care for me if I need caring for. I believe our government should be our guide and not our complete means of support. I believe in the U.S. Constitution, limited interference from the federal government and states rights.


Think you know me now? I also don’t think the federal government belongs in our bedrooms. If my meaning is not obvious enough to you - I don’t believe the federal government should be determining reproduction, marriage or morals beyond those basics covered in our constitution. I believe moral behavior is best taught at home according to one’s own culture and religion. I believe this is what our forefathers intended and the First Amendment of our Constitution reinforces.


Presently both the major United States parties are ticking me off. My own party gets my goat in violating one of their original core principals by trying to use the federal government to legislate morality. The Democratic Party has me peeved with their bailouts. Mostly it is individual members of each party who are so set in their ways that they can’t speak, do not want to speak, with each other. They seem to have forgotten we are all part of the same nation and as such, it is the progress and success of our nation we should work together to fulfill.


So flame away, all of you. The right can tell me I am going to hell in a hand basket and the left can tell me I couldn’t understand what it is to be underprivileged because, being a Republican; I obviously live a life of great means in my ivory tower. Flame away.

11 comments:

  1. "I’m all for a hand up but not so much a hand out. I’m all for giving people the tools to make themselves better rather than the tools to make up more excuses why they can’t be."

    w00t - you said it and you rock little guinea pig. I know you're not looking for pats on the back, but I'm impressed with how you've handled the cards you were dealt. Thank you for sharing.

    You'll get no flames from me! You've pretty much captured my feelings about our government as well. I love my country and don't want to live anywhere else, but I'm frustrated by our government - its stubborn bi-partisan behavior and need to govern private matters. Too many laws! I'm a Republican too, have always been - raised in an Air Force family. But I do have a liberal side as well.

    My silly. simplistic idea is that if we were all just polite to each other, the world would be a much better place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. I don't think I'm all that radical but one can't be objective about one's self. I hope people can see clear reasoning for how I got to where I am today.
    I am bemused when I sit back on Twitter and see the parties going at it with each other. I have been personally attacked for admitting online that I am a Republican. Each time I was never asked why and each time there were many assumptions made about who I must be, most of them grossly inaccurate.
    I don't think either party makes themselves look better by their constant screaming that the other is hypocritical and moronic. But hey, I'm a guinea pig - what do I know?
    Thanks again and most of all, thank you for having the courage to say SOMETHING. You might notice none of the people who flame at me online have said anything. Neither has anyone else in my party. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice explanation. As a Republican daughter of many generations of Democrats I enjoyed hearing your thoughts on this. My parents and grandparents and those before them believe much as I do even though they still call themselves Democrats. I think both parties have left the ideals that we who follow them believe in. As a Christian Conservative, the Republican party still works best for me even though I don't agree with many of those on the far right any more than I do with any on the far left. I wish those in Washington would decide to work together and meet somewhere in the middle for the good of the country as there are a lot of good ideas coming from both sides of the aisle. Too many times, our political leaders are working just for their own political gain and not for the good of us, the hard working, American tax payer. I have worked very hard for what I have and do not believe in subsidizing those who have not because they have worked not..... An honest days pay for an honest days work is what I have lived my life by. I'm all for less government and more freedom for workers and for small business owners such as my husband and myself. I'm with "Joe the Plumber" in that I do not buy into Obama and the Democrat leadership's "spread the wealth policies". My husband and I own two small businesses and have survived through many bad and thankfully some good times too in coming up on 30 years now in business for ourselves. We've been knocked down time and again and have picked our own selves up without a handout from anyone. We did this by tightening our belts, going without salaries for ourselves when we had to, borrowing money to operate on until times got better and then struggling to pay those "lean time" loans back as times got better for us and our businesses. The party that best represents this kind of work ethic for me is the Republican Party and I will stay a member as long as that is what the party stands for. Hard working Middle Americans like my husband and I, don't have time to worry about things that appeal most to the far right or left. We are just too busy working and struggling to survive in a sinking economy to fight those battles, most of which are things government should stay out of in the first place! God Bless America.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When asked why I have voted for Republicans, my most common response is "they *might* kiss me first."

    Prior to W, I often alternated with "Republican stupidity is usually easier to fix/kill."

    Since about half past Bush the elder both parties have alienated me too much to put a party affiliation with my name on the voter rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your ethic, Pam. Hard times call for belt tightening. The US did not always have these aid programs and people got through. Farmers are a good example of that ethic. In flush years they paid off their debts and tried to put some away for the lean years. Back then, people didn’t spend every dollar as soon as it was earned. That is another reason I think a limited Federal Government makes sense. I am not against helping people in dire straights but it needs to be done on a local level. It’s too easy to think of taking aid from the government as “beating the system.” If one knows the helping hand is your neighbor who one sees heading to work every morning and has to face when they’re mowing the lawn, it’s a motivator to pick one’s self up. Most people don’t like to be a pariah where they live.
    I should also point out that wanting to be taxed less is not always (or even often) about greed. I am capable of giving much more to people and charitable organizations now than when I worked for non-profits. I don’t regret the years I spent helping people in that way but I think I am able to help many more now. Certain non-profits are vital to our communities but we need to get out of the mind set of expecting free help will always be there when we need it. Rather than turning to our government for aid, stronger communities and more localized, targeted assistance could fix that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd never fault you for that, Anonymous. The important thing is to vote. Thankfully you don't need a party affiliation to do so in this country.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Same anonymouse as above (my new employers have give LOTS of money to our Democrats, and I'm still probationary)

    I've always said that if you don't vote then you have to shut up and accept what you get.

    Neither of those last two things have any chance of happening, so I must vote, so as not to explode.

    (The CAPTCHA is "tartive." Is that the kind of candle bad girls light?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started voting for JFK and always do vote, it is my duty and that way I have the right to complain. But let it be known "I hate politicians" History has taught me that J. Edgar Hoover, director of the FBI, kept our politicians straight, there is no one to do this now. This post and all your comments should be hand delivered and read in the halls of congress. We the people are and always have been in charge. Lord just send us a people leader, please not a lawyer, but one who will be a mouth piece and voice the American way of truth and justice.. Billy E.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First, nobody should flame you for stating your opinion, especially one that is obviously been developed from direct experience and education. That's one of my biggest gripes in our country today, is that too many people do not respect the opinions of others, but mock and flame, further polarizing any productive discussion.

    Second, I agree with most of what you have said, and echo your sentiments about neither party truly representing you. While I used to be a card-carrying Republican, the daughter of Republican parents, and grandparents, I departed from that affiliation a couple of years ago. I now consider myself an independent, though moderately conservative, and definitely not a Democrat.

    It might surprise you that one of the reasons I left the party is because of them trying to legislate morality. I am a firm believer in separation of church and state, and while I may have opinions on moral issues that may differ from some without my beliefs, I also believe in privacy. No, I don't believe in gay marriage, but will go with the majority if that's what the states decide. You won't see me marching to Capitol Hill begging for a constitutional amendment against it.

    I also have great disdain for most government programs, that, as you pointed out, discourage people from being responsible for themselves. I am all for the government lending a hand to those who fall on hard times but are working to get out of them, but instead they act as enablers to those who believe the system owes them something for nothing.

    Anyway, could go on and on, but I thought your post was very well-written, and know that you echo the sentiments of many in this country. Good job, little guinea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked a lot of what you had to say, but I still don't think you are a Republican. I think you are a free thinker. If you always vote Republican, then I stand corrected. However, we have similar views on many points and I will always vote the wa I think will best help the current climet of the country or the state. I voted for Reagan, but neither Bush, and considered McCain. I voted for Bill Clinton, but not Hillary (although I think she was a great choice as Secratary). I base my decisions not only on the views of the candidates, but on how productive I think they will be with the current Congress/legislature at the time. I also put a lot of stock in what I feel they have for charachter. I would vote for a Republican I feel I could trust over a Democrat I didn't...even if I didn't totally agree with their views on everything. Unorthodox, I know...but I have rarely regretted any of my votes. I don't pigeon hole myself as either a Dem or a Rep...just an informed American voter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't imagine flaming you. You have my (increased) respect for surviving all you have been through and coming out of it the person you are.

    -Kitiara Tomsen

    ReplyDelete