Friday, April 9, 2010

Privacy - Giving It All Away

Facebook and other sites on the internet collect our names, the names of our spouses, partners, parents, children, friends, our birth dates, where we live, where we go when we leave our homes, where we work, what activities we enjoy, our ethnicities, where we went to school, where we grew up, details about our health and sexual orientation – quite simply, everything about us.

I have seen a number of employment advertisements lately requiring the applicant to include their Facebook link on their resume or in their cover letter. I find this alarming on a number of fronts. First, this precludes anyone who can not afford a computer or internet access from applying. I'll dismiss this fact early with the recognition that most people without a computer or internet access would not see or even seek to apply for these positions but that doesn't make it right. In general, I'm concerned a lack of access to computers and internet service will leave a sizable chunk of people who want to get ahead behind but that is a whole other post.

I quit Facebook in 2008 before the great surge of people joined. I was alarmed when I joined because no other site wanted as much information from me to set up an account. It went downhill from there. People linked photographs and wrote things on my wall I did not want associated with me. There is a mechanism to remove these things but again and again it did not work. Facebook would not assist me with these problems. They also refused to let me change my name to my initials followed by my last name. They said it wasn't my real name. Really? I have been known as E.L. Devlin many places. Would they give that kind of attitude to E.L. Doctorow? (I'm not saying I compare in a literary sense but hope you get my drift.)

By the time Facebook had become big, I was glad I was not in that arena. I've always been cautious on-line, not nearly as cautious as I know I should be but I accept some times I make trade offs for self expression. I love computers, technology and the internet so something has to give.

I've been dipping my foot in this pond for a long time (in internet chronology) but when I let loose, it has been under a pseudonym. My business is not the internet or anything related to it and I see no reason I should be barred from it. My business IS being discreet with other people's personal information and I do that very well. I believe what I do when I am not being paid by a client or employer should be my concern as long as I do nothing immoral or illegal and as long as I do not bring a client or employer into the equation. Most people don't know what I do even when I tell them. I like that.

Facebook and other sites on the internet collect our names, the names of our spouses, partners, parents, children, friends, our birth dates, where we live, where we go when we leave our homes, where we work, what activities we enjoy, our ethnicities, where we went to school, where we grew up, details about our health and sexual orientation – quite simply, everything about us. Now Foursquare has announced they won't credit check-ins toward badges without GPS confirmation. Even Twitter is getting in on the game by adding location information to tweets based on GPS coordinates. The first thing I did when I bought my smartphone was turn off the GPS. It is bad enough my phone company knows where I am at all times; I should not need to broadcast it to the world if I don't want to.

With a name, date of birth, mother's maiden name and social security number anyone can BE us. By telling someone where you were born anyone can know the first three digits of your social security number. People give banks, utility companies and credit card companies the last four digits of their social security numbers as personal identifiers. How hard is it to figure out the middle two digits from zero to ninety nine? Not very, as this post from Carnegie Mellon pointed out.

Aside from the often addressed concerns of identity theft new media makes our civil rights virtually obsolete. A hiring manager or landlord can decide who they want to hire or rent to, above and beyond capability, good citizenship and credit worthiness. As long as that person is on-line, there is a good probability they will get exactly what they want. Don't want anyone over thirty-five working for you because they generally cost more in wages and health benefits and are hopelessly unhip? Human Resources can screen out those people before they are even called back for a first round telephone interview. Don't want homosexuals or single mothers living in your apartment building because you hold moral judgments against them? As long as the applicant has an on-line profile, you will know them before inviting them to view your property. The beauty of this screening is, the applicant never knows they are in contention for the position or the home and therefore can not prove suit for violation of their civil rights. They are not even aware it happened or that they materially assisted in their own defeat.

There are now aggregator sites which use algorithms to gather information about individuals from various different web sites and public records. These advertise one stop shopping for people seeking complete personal profiles on other individuals. As if being hoisted on your own petard is not bad enough, often the information gathered is inaccurate. In one personal profile which contains a photograph of me, I am listed as an African American Texan in my seventies. I am sure there are times when misinformation could work in one's favour but I hazard to guess that is not the reality for most. I am purposely not naming any of these sites since any publicity can be good publicity. Some of these companies do have mechanisms for removing your information from their site but one article I read on Snopes.com noted attempts to do so yielded no end result other than allowing the company to have yet another email address to add to their database.

It is anyone's guess where this new media dystopia may lead us. Laws have not come close to keeping up with technology and how humans use it. Precedence setting cases are being heard everyday in courts across the world but it is too soon to know whether the convenience of technology will make privacy and civil rights a distant memory. Are you comfortable with these changes? How do you feel about some companies requiring their employees to have an on-line profile? Do you think the trade offs are worth the benefits? Or am I worrying too late because the horse is already out of the barn and in another county?

Image courtesy New School University

10 comments:

  1. That is an excellent point about that damned SSN being related to the state where you applied. I have taken to giving an inaccurate birthdate to most sites, but I fear I have given an accurate one to too many.

    And who's to say you aren't an African American Texan in your seventies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I refuse to give out my social security number for reasons other than IRS or INS. As time goes on companies are willing to accept other identifiers and it is becoming less difficult. I have hope that soon it will take much more than the details I gave above to impersonate another.

    My greater concern is profiling people from what is found on the web. As I stated, it is not always accurate. I don't think it paints a complete picture either.

    The only problem I have with being a seventy year old African American Texan is I will have missed out on what I am told are the best years of my life. I haven't done anything to correct the information so that may be me for all anyone knows. It is no more inaccurate than much of the other information I've dug up on myself. :)

    Thank you for reading and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might have guessed it! LOL! We own the URL! In fact, we own newmediaforanyone.com AND newmediaforeveryone.com.

    This is a very well-written piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been "paranoid" from almost the beginning of my time on the 'net, let alone my time on the socnets. Long before I had my first email address (it was the early 90s), I dated a girl in college who told me how marketing companies would build a personality profile about you based on your use of your supermarket card--like an FBI profile.

    Buy a 20-pack of condoms at 3am on a Tuesday (as a friend of mine did around that time) and you're painting a pretty clear picture of the kind of person you are to the eyes of total strangers. From then on I became very aware of all the ways supermarkets and other big businesses were able to gather information about me based on completely natural, not-always-conscious behavior.

    Flash-forward COUGH20COUGH years and the supermarket card personality profile seems downright quaint compared to the amount of info many sites ask for. The good news is that many sites don't ask for anything at all. Instapaper, drop.io, Tumblr, and many others don't seem interested at all in tricking you into giving up your info. So it's not a complete dystopia :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pete -

    I saw the potential for abuse of information related to shopping cards from the beginning. The old model was simply having sales & circulars to promote them. Why would they suddenly start issuing shopping cards if not to track the spending habits of individuals? I have one card where I was supposed to sign up on the web or mail in the application but never did. Every time I use the card they point this out to me but they haven't stop me from using it yet. I only pay cash in that store so they can't get my name off a credit card. Marketers hate people like me.

    My privacy paranoia started right after college with a man who has continually tracked me through public records. I started by not telling the Registry of Motor Vehicles when I moved until after I moved onto the next apartment or condo. Local (town) censuses were also a problem because that is public record. I would fail to fill it out and they would take me off the voter rolls but I would simply re-register at my last address before election day. I've never filled out a mail forwarding card with the post office. I contact people & companies on an individual basis to give them my new address as needed. It is not fun living in that state of paranoia but for me it was necessary.

    Now that I am older I don't worry as much about people knowing where I am. The internet is a double edged sword. I have enough information on my stalker to hold him at bay. Friends know about him and I have a file of information about him. And yes, after all these years he is still there. In fact, he has commented on my blog.

    Still, that is a mind set that doesn't go away. Having held jobs in security and risk management have only added to my cautiousness. I will always carry with me the awareness of what information I give up and where I do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite an eye-opener. I've always been candidly suspicious. There's only a certain amount of info I put online.

    I'm concerned about folks younger than me. I'm young, and I grew up crafting the internet as a significant part of my world. The students I work with in school routinely talk about social sites. How much information are _they_ giving up?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been leery for some time now of all of the data that is out there on us. Almost all major retailers now have some sort of shopping card, or want you to take out their own credit card (which I don't do). Then credit card data, checking, etc.

    I can't believe some prospective employers would require one to have a Facebook. It's one thing to ask for it in optional form, but require it? That is really invasive of one's privacy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emma, that sucks. I'm so sorry you had to/have to deal with someone like that. It's ridiculous how some people can't see where boundaries are. It seems like too many people feel compelled to take things too far.

    And ultimately, a situation like that is exactly what concerns me about *anyone* having this much information on each of us as individuals. Honestly? I don't think I care what a corporation thinks of me, whether I buy tomato paste at 2 in the morning or whatever. It's more about the potential for abuse of said information. If some person decides to stalk you or a loved one it would be a cinch for them to do. That person could be someone at a marketing company or in government or someone who bought a list from a marketing company.

    2nd to the fear of stalking, I am concerned that such information could be used to work out new ways to manipulate individual citizens into buying or even doing things they wouldn't normally do. Like vote for a person who openly fights against their values (I feel like the Republican party has done this already).

    It's all pretty scary stuff when you think about it.

    Thanks again for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aside: my first paranoid realization with the frequent shopper cards was when CVS offered me a coupon for ibuprofen about 3 months after my purchase of a 100-count bottle... they assumed that (if I followed normal self-medication trends for my demographic) I was just about out and would buy a new bottle with the coupon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brendyn -
    I worry about the complete lack of personal privacy our youth are likely to have from growing up with the internet. It is hard to explain the dangers of such things when the frontal lobe that controls risk decisions isn't even fully developed until age 25. I just hope they can "scrub" their identities sufficiently later. It is getting harder all the time. There is already an industry developing to do just that but that is just another thing to market and charge for. Who is to say the same people who aggregate information won't be the same ones charging to get rid of it?

    Pete -
    I have thought about it. I have the same fears. That is the reason I wrote this post. Some people call it paranoia but I am watching it happen before me. I'd rather be called names and be aware than watch it happen and stay silent.

    Ultranurd -
    It IS unnerving isn't it? I find it annoying when people make assumptions about me. Some marketers think it is clever but to me it is creepy. I often can't remember where I left my hammer but I have a mind attuned to what personal info I put out there and my purchasing history. I can usually tell where someone obtained the information they are using to pitch me. If someone is pitching me face to face I've been known to throw it back at them. Then they are the one who is creeped out. Touche'.

    ReplyDelete