Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Father: Memorial For A Veteran


I wrote the following post as a tribute to Father around the time of Father's Day and Memorial Day because both are so linked in my heart to him but it is now, the day he was buried, that he really comes to mind. I am reposting it here. 


I can't imagine he planned to be buried on Veterans' Day but it gave great comfort to my Mother and me. First things being first, we both marched in the Veterans' Day Parade, me as a flutist in the marching band and Mother in the Ladies VFW Auxiliary. Only after that duty did we continue to the grave site to bid farewell to Pop. With that preface, here it is: 


When I think of Veterans the first person I think of is my Pop. Growing up, I often saw him in the uniforms of the Veterans Of Foreign Wars or the American Legion. He was always in parades or going to conferences. My earliest dancing was conducted on the toes of his shoes, to a live band, after a conference or parade ended. My Father's service to the United States was his proudest achievement.
He died when I was still young so my memories of him are faint but a part of him lives on through his poetry. My Mother hand typed these poems and passed them on to me, knowing my love of language.
Father left high school early to join the Navy for World War II. That is how he met my mother, a USO accordionist, on the opposite side of the country. He wore his Naval uniform for their wedding.
Few of his poems were about war but the following is. 
The Zero Hour
The whistle of the bombshell
The shot screamed high above
As I burrowed like a groundhog
I thought of home and love
We hadn't long to linger
The word came for the charge
We were welcomed to their trenches
By a blistering barrage
We took full half a mile
Of that cursed No Man's Land
Then reached the German trenches
And were fighting hand in hand.
I passed from the world of the living
And entered the world of the dead
Another American soldier 
To that war machine been fed
He was not fed to the war machine during World War II so he again served his country in the "Korean Conflict." (It took years for the United States Government to admit the action in Korea was a war so I remember it being referred to in this manner, in our household.) When Father retired from military service it was as a Senior Master Sergeant for the United States Air Force.
This was all before I was born but so much a part of my Father's identity that history class was alive for me. My oldest brother was a Vietnam era veteran and I remember the fear in our family of wondering when the war would end. When my sister joined the Air Force I was unnerved to see her in uniform. I was told she would be okay but as a little girl, growing up with hushed stories of war, how could I be certain?
Father always seemed haunted but at the same time, in wonder of life. When he finally was defeated, it was not war which took him but cancer. He raced to button up his life for his wife and remaining small child. He was not given enough time but Mum was a military wife and knew how to get through. By the time he left us, we both did. It helped he left us with this, which was read at his funeral:
Just See That You're Happy Today
Don't worry yourself with tomorrow
Tomorrow's a long way away
Forget all your troubles and sorrows
Just see that you're happy today
Try living your life for the minute
Who knows what tomorrow will hold
Try getting the best that is in it
Tomorrow itself will unfold
A lifetime you think lies before you
Can't you get wise to what's true?
A million and one things can floor you
Then where is tomorrow for you?
So live as I say for the present
Tomorrow will come as it may
Though you be a king or a peasant
Just see that you're happy today
He wrote the second poem while still in the Navy during World War II (February 10th, 1942). The world was going to hell in a hand basket and he was writing about embracing life. This is the legacy he left.
War. Service. Cancer. Duty. These are the words I think of when I think of my soldier father. On this day where we memorialize those who served and those who died for our country I give to you his words. For those who have suffered and died and those who have suffered and lived through the illness that was his final act in life, I give you his inspiration. Frederick A. Devlin III never missed an opportunity to serve his country or its citizens. 
Godspeed to all soldiers past, present and future whether fighting for this country or fighting for your life. Thank you for your service to country, community and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment