Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Social Media Family, Friends, Colleagues and Neighbors: What I've Learned About Online Relationships


I have been involved in social media for a little over two years. Few people would disagree I am more on the social side of it than the media side but as a person with endless curiosity and a thirst to learn, I read about it, attend webinars and seminars and discuss it with others who have similar interests. I have not (yet) used it to conduct or promote business but I know many people who do and I understand how they use it. My circle of acquaintances is wide and varied across several nations; another reflection of my desire to be exposed to different ideas, cultures and lifestyles and learn from them.

Lately I have been thinking about how these relationships would be defined in terms used prior to the advent of social media. Some are obvious such as family and friends who were made prior to communicating on line. The few people I discuss possible future business collaboration with I think of as colleagues – by joining together we may mutually benefit each other with our collective talent. There are those who I enjoy speaking with but would probably never meet for a cup of coffee - these I consider neighbors. There are people who live local or have come through Boston and made a point of scheduling time to see me. When we hit it off and can sit comfortably talking for hours with no agenda, I consider these people new friends. There are instances where some of these can overlap as in when a neighbor or friend and I discover we have a mutual interest we can collaborate on. This can lead to a neighbor becoming a friend because we've found something mutual we share but there are times the connection morphs more into a colleague relationship. Given time and trust a colleague can become a friend.

Sometimes relationships are not so easily defined. The challenge there, just as in times prior to social media, is balancing how much one is willing to sink into the relationship compared to the potential return. Recently I was out with some friends I've met through social media. I brought up something minor but which troubled me none the less, hoping that by airing it, they could give me insight. They changed the subject. I steered back onto the topic which they immediately deflected. It hit me then: these are not your friends. Reflecting on this I realize, I potentially have something to offer them but minus this commonality, they likely would have nothing to do with me. And that is fine. We do have that one commonality and by working with them, under their rules, I can possibly create change in something I care about. Now I just have to decide whether I want to work with them to create this change, work alone, or not work at all.

The complexity of relationships hasn't changed with the advent of social media. Social media has just added another layer of complexity. There are and have always been relationships we nurture with the prospect of no gain aside from how they make us feel. This happens in social media, too. Sometimes it is harder to identify, though just as important to go into with not only our minds and hearts, but also our eyes, wide open.

Photograph used under creative commons license courtesy of red daisies

4 comments:

  1. One draw to online interactions for many is the lack of depth of the relationships. And I've also found people that I click well with online, but in real life it was ackward. As you noted, "another layer of complexity".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about your post for a few days now. As I interact with people on Twitter, I think about how I would see that relationship if we were face to face. There are a few people that I would love to meet in person, have a meal, hang out with. There are many others that, although I enjoy interacting with, that desire to develop a friendship just isn't there. I've also realized that it's okay to feel that way. We can't have only close friends in our lives. We need neighbors and acquaintances too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very interesting, and so true. The social-sphere has a lot of people who just want to hear themselves talk, no depth behind what they are saying. You found out the hard way that these people were not very interested in real connection and it is their loss.

    Keep on truckin, your a smart lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, it's so hard to know when making friends on line what is real and what is a facade. I think we're often surprised by what we get when we meet these people in person.

    Amy, I agree. There are people I know here I have no desire to meet in person but you aren't one of them. Still, it is nice to interact with them. I think everyone has something they can teach us and I hope sometimes I'm able to contribute something to them.

    Thanks for reading Craig! You are one person I can't wait to meet in person. That is, if you can fit me in between all the sports teams you plan to visit when you are here. :)

    The final comment was deleted as it was advertising for blog SEO. Seems my blog has finally hit the big time!

    ReplyDelete